Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back in action

It's been a long time, but I'm looking to start skating again.  Carl finished his student teaching and passed his certification exam.  (Anyone know an elementary principal looking for a math and science teacher?)  He's able to tutor more hours at Sylvan now, so there will be some money available for skating.  Yay!

In my hiatus, I have tried to work out off the ice at least 3x a week.  Here's what I've been up to in a nutshell:
  • I discovered I have a Vitamin D definiciency.  Vitamin D helps you absorb calcium, so a deficiency can lead to weaker bones.  Guess what?  Just as soon as I discovered this, I broke my toe and had to stop skating for about 6 weeks.  
  • Because of my vitamin D deficiency, I moved my workouts outdoors whenever possible to get sunlight.  
    • I was walking/jogging with Prospero, the greyhound, aka pesonal trainer,  Even at 12 years old and with arthritis in his paws, he was pushing me to go faster.  
    • I got a subscription to Fitness magazine.  The real surprise in this was the number of great recipes I've found.  I'll post links and review them in future posts.  
  • After the broken toe, I modified my workouts to make sure it had a chance to heal
    • I got a subscription to Sportskool Fitness
    • I replaced walking the dog with a used bicycle.   I love being able to ride around the Kingwood greenbelts.  
    • Hopscotch came back into the workout as a way to practice jumps off-ice and gage home my toe was healing.
  • Carl made a commitment to exercise with me.  He wants to train for a 5K run, and until my toe heals completely, he wants to bike with me.   
At this point, I have one more week off the ice because of personal commitments.  Hopefully, around the 18th, I'll be back at Memorial City practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment