Sunday, January 9, 2011

Basic Skills Coach?

One of my co-workers asked me why I don't try to make a living ice skating.  Obviously, she has me confused with the skaters she sees on TV. 

But, it's a good question.  One of my skating friends came to the rink today with new skates.  He taught basic skills classes in the fall.  Is this a coincidence? 

A better question is:  could I do that to help me save for the new pair of skates I need? 

My excuses are myriad. 

Excuse:  I don't have enough experience skating.
Reality:  You don't need a triple Axel to teach snowplow stops

Excuse:  My schedule changes too much. 
Reality:  It's relatively simple to update my availability at work

Excuse:  It would interfere with judging
Reality:  There aren't that many test sessions in Houston for it to be a problem

Excuse:  I don't know how to teach skating
Reality:  I don't know how to make skating fun new skaters. 

My husband tried to explain to me a few weeks ago that not everyone wants to go to the Olympics.  Heresy!  I know it's unlikely I'll go to the Olympics, but it could happen.  If the opportunity arises, I want to be ready.  (You can stop laughing now. )  This makes it very difficult for me to put myself in the mindset of a recreational skater. 

So, what does it take to be a basic skills coach?  What kind of experience do you need?  What sort of training do you get before you get your own class? 

1 comment:

  1. To be a Basic Skills coach, you need to be a member of US Figure Skating as an individual or club member, be registered with USFS as a Basic Skills instructor, and be hired by a rink.

    You need to understand the instruction process, like people especially children, and have the technical knowledge of figure skating skills and the ability to break them down into small pieces.

    Usually, to get hired by a rink as a group class coach, you need to have passed Novice or higher FS test, or Adult Gold FS.

    There is a Beginning Coach online class through PSA you can take for training, and most rinks will have you shadow a current coach for a day or so before getting your own class.

    ReplyDelete