Sunday, January 23, 2011

I'd Rather Be Skating workout

This week, I had a lot of energy when I got home from work but not enough time to go skating.  So I decided to try something a little different.  Instead of a video workout, I decided to practice my jumps and created my own 10 minute, off-ice workout.

I'd Rather Be Skating Workout
 
Warm-up 
Your choice.  (I decided to kill two birds with one stone and warm up by walking the dog.)

Jumps
Since you can't work on those pesky MIF, you can get right to the fun stuff without any guilt.

  • 10 frog jumps with a balance ball.    This gets you warmed up with a simple, two-legged jump.  My goal is to hit the ball on the ceiling.  (This one is from Fitness Magazine.) 
  • 5 - 10 waltz jumps
  • 5 - 10 Salchows
  • 5-10 toe loops
  • 5-10 flips
  • 5-10 loops
 Wall squats with the balance ball
I find that using the balance ball for wall squats makes it much easier to get up out of the squat since it rolls on the wall, whereas my shirt sticks to the sheet rock.
  • Hold 10 seconds on both legs.
  • Lift your left leg into a sit spin position.  Hold 10 seconds.
  • Switch legs and hold for another 10 seconds.

Standing Side Splits with a ball - Left
Another exercise I found at Fitness Magazine

The reason I included this is because it's similar to spirals.  (And because this is a yoga pose I've always wanted to try but never could figure out how to make it work with my limited flexibility until now.)  

The stability ball makes it more challenging than it looks. 



 Spiral - left leg
  • Use a chair or the wall if you need support, or if you are strong enough, do it without support.
  • Think about Michelle Kwan and try to get that foot above your head (in my case, above the hip) and the hold the position for at least 30 seconds. 
Do another set of wall squats

Standing splits - right leg

Spiral - right leg

That's it - 10 minutes and you are done.  If you still want to skate, put on your socks and practice your spins on the kitchen floor.  Be sure to clear the counters if you are going to work on your camels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment