Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bronze workout

Jana Kading, one of my coach friends in Phoenix, used to provide workouts for various levels of skaters on her website.  Her Pre-Bronze workout was the basis of my skating practice for a long time.

Now that I've passed my Pre-Bonze tests, I've modified it for Bronze MIF.  If I were to do the entire workout without stopping, it would probably take a little over an hour.  Since I do stop for water breaks (that's adult skater for "gasp for air") and to visit with other skaters, I takes closer to 1.5 hours.  No, I don't really have that kind of time, so I cut back on the number of repetitions or leave sections out (adult skater for "forget to do something")
 
Holly's Bronze Workout
Warm-up/Bronze MIF
  • Forward and backward perimeter power stroking.  
    • One full lap forward, end pattern per rulebook, one full lap backward
  • Forward power 3 turns (2 laps)
  • Alternating backward crossovers to backward outside edges (1 full lap)
  • Forward circle 8 (x2)
  • Five-step Mohawk sequence (1 lap)
Plus . . . 
  • Alternating 3-turns:  1 hockey line each FO & FI 3-turns
Or, if that's not working very well, 
  • Pre-bronze 3 turn pattern, since it uses all 4 forward 3's
Spins: 5x each
  • 1-foot spin
  • Scratch spin
  • Backward outside edge on hockey circle with free leg in back-spin position
  • Back spin
  • Change-foot spin
Jumps:  5x ea
  • Individual jumps
    • Waltz (5 in a row, if possible)
    • Salchow
    • 1/2 flip
    • Toe loop
  • Combo jumps
    • Waltz/toe-loop
    • Salchow/toe-loop
    • Toe-loop/toe-loop
  • Jump sequence:  waltz-1/2 flip-Salchow-toe-loop
Footwork - 1 length of rink each
  • Mohawk footwork
  • Alternating crossovers/tap-toe
Program:  run through entire program at least once

Cool down:  2 laps (any pattern)

1 comment: