Sunday, October 24, 2010

Judging

Today was Autumn Fest at Texas Gulf Coast Figure Skating Club in Sugarland, and I got to participate in the sport in a very different way than I normally do:  judging.

Although joining USFSA was one of the most exciting things I've ever done, I had to be honest with myself.  Even though by being a member of USFSA,  I could qualify for the Olympics . . .

Everything is a blur around me as I exit my final combination spin.  The crowd explodes.  I curtsy to the judges, then turn to the audience.  Seeing the American flags, the posters, and the signs, it finally sinks in:  I won the gold.  Overcome with emotion, I wipe the tears from my face, leaving long streaks of mascara on my cheeks. . . .

Oh, excuse me.  Was I daydreaming on the keyboard?   

Reality is that I will probably need a walker to hobble onto the ice by the time I'm ready to take my senior MIF test.  Let's forget about qualifying competitions.

Judging is my way of participating in the sport of figure skating at a higher level than my skating ability.  There are lots of other ways to do this, but honestly, the judges have the best seats in the house, so that's where I want to be.

To everyone at  the Texas Gulf Coast Figure Skating Club, thanks for inviting me to judge today and congratulations on a well-run basic skills competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment