Thursday, October 14, 2010

How good is perfect?

Xanboni wrote on her blog . . .

One of the most common whines I hear from students (and parents, truth be told) is "but I already know how to do that, can't we learn something new?" And the answer is, yes, you can learn to do this skill at a higher level, with fewer errors and more art.
 Maybe I haven't reached this level in my skating yet, but I can't imagine whining about improving any of my skills.  Yes, maybe I whine a little about the stuff I don't want to do (I wouldn't be thrilled if my coach asked me to drill my backward edges), but a chance to improve a skill is always a good thing.

One of the things I like about the testing system in USFSA is that  just because you pass a test doesn't mean you have mastered the skill.  In USFSA, tests are judged on a continuum. A preliminary skater is judged on the same scale as a senior.

This is so different than the schools, where a 1st grader can get an A the same as someone in high school.  An A means you've mastered the material for your level.  In USFSA tests, passing means you performed the skills at an acceptable level, not that you've mastered them. 

There's always room for growth in the USFSA test structure.  Just look at how many times skaters are tested on crossovers:  preliminary skates them in figure 8 patterns; pre-juvenile does them again in the forward and backward perimeter power stroking move; juvenile skaters preform them again in the power circles.  Each time you test, you should have improved your power and stroking technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment