Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sit spins

"OK, let's see a sit spin," my coach told me this week.

The last time I attempted a sit spin was in a group lesson when I was 12.  I don't remember exactly what happened, but I do remember that it was one of the first times in my life that something didn't come easily for me. 

I watched enough skating on TV to know that sit -spins were essential to competition.  Dorothy Hamill did them.  So, if I couldn't do them . . . I didn't like to think what that might mean.  Rather than ask for help, I avoided them and never did another sit spin.

Until this week. 

Even 30 years later, I'm a still a proud woman.  Did I ask for help?  No, not really.  Instead, I tried to control the situation with lots of questions:  "Do you sit, then spin?  Or spin, then sit? . . .How much of a sit am I aiming for?"

"Thigh parallel to the ice."

Oh, crimety, I've got a LOT of work ahead of me.  For months now, I've been doing wall squats in a sit spin position to try and prepare for this.  Except, well, I got lazy a few weeks ago.  What if I've lost the strength I've been trying to build up in my legs? 

What if, no matter how much work I put into this, I can't do a sit spin?

No comments:

Post a Comment