Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's a sad time

Today I had to admit that I have to cut back on skating.  My husband is taking 3 teacher certification classes this fall, which doesn't leave him a lot of time for working.  My job pays the bills, but there's not much left over.  


This year has been full of change.  We moved from Phoenix to Houston.  I left a job I'd been at for 8 years.  I made a decision not to take another desk job and am working in retail until I figure out what I want to do next. 


During all of these changes, skating has been my anchor.  Even though the locations and faces changed, it's still skating.  I've been able to take the status change of going from Management Assistant to Retail Sales Associate because I've been so successful skating.   I told myself,  "It's OK.  This job lets you skate three times a week." 
 
I was blessed with being able to skate 3 times a week this spring and summer.  Now, I've got to remember that there will be other competitions, other test dates, and other Adult Nationals.  I don't have to do it all this year. 

I am trying to remind myself that it's temporary. Slowing down for a few months isn't the same as giving up. 

1 comment:

  1. It isn't the same as giving up but that doesn't make it easy. When I had to take a break from skating for financial reasons I focused my efforts on off-ice training with the goal that I would do everything I could at home so that when I could return to skating I would be stronger, more flexible, and more co-ordinated than when I left. (So in answer to your question, yes, all of those workout suggestions I gave you in an earlier post, I have used myself.)

    I try to focus my efforts on what I can do right now, in my current circumstances, to keep working towards my goal even if it means getting there by centimeters. That way when more ideal conditions come, I am already prepped to take advantage of every opportunity. And if ideal conditions don't come? I'm still pursuing my dream (and building character).

    So much of life is a time and a season. Perhaps this is a winter period with your skating. How exciting it will be when once again, spring comes!

    Here's hoping that there is an increase in ice time in your near future. In the meantime keep doing the best you can (and writing about it here *smile*). I'll be pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete